Friday 22 February 2013

History Podcasts

I used to love listening to Mike Duncan's "The History of Rome" podcast until it finished last year. It was great to listen to someone, an amateur in the true sense of the word, speak about ancient history and I've been struggling to find something like this since its sad demise.
There's Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" of course, which is excellent, but this is thematic rather than episodic.
However, I've just discovered Kevin Stroud's "The History of English". The style is a bit different from THoR but the content is absolutely fascinating and a couple of times when I've been casually listening to it, I have just had to stop what I'm doing because the lights go on in my head and I can see the connections between the various Indo-European languages that he talks about.
Really fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment