Sunday 1 December 2013

First Sunday of Advent

My favourite Advent hymn, "O Comfort My People" written by the Cistercian, Fr Chrysogonus Waddell. The tune the traditional Irish melody "Bi Iosa Am Chroise" with words taken from Isaiah 40:1-2.4.9



O comfort my people
and calm all their fear,
and tell them the time of
salvation draws near
O tell them I come
to remove all their shame
Then they will forever
give praise to my name.

Proclaim to the cities
of Juda my word:
that gentle yet strong is
the hand of the Lord.
I rescue the captives,
my people defend
and bring them to justice
and joy without end.

All mountains and hill shall
become as a plain
for vanished are mourning
and hunger and pain.
And never again shall
these war against you.
Behold I come quickly
to make all things new.

Words (c) Chrysogonus Waddell and Mount St. Joseph's Abbey Harmoney (c) McCromman Publishing Co. Ltd.,

Here is a version with the lyrics included.


No comments:

Post a Comment