Friday 21 March 2014

There must be a word for it in Greek...

"The Grimleys" was a minor British comedy from the late nineties which featured a nice conceit that it took place in an alternative universe where the members of the Glam Rock bands of the 1970s had given up their profession before they achieved success and went back to the day job. The most musically sophisticated of that type of band was Slade fronted by Noddy Holder, who, in the series,  played the music teacher in the school.

I can remember not giving the series much of a thought when it came out but I ran across this clip on Youtube in which Holder ends one of the episodes singing what would nowadays be called an "unplugged" version of the Slade hit "Cum on Feel the Noize".


I found the rendition really quite touching. I think it is a tribute to Holder's acting skills that he is able to convey the pathos of an alternative history, replete with missed opportunities and lost promise, that didn't actually happen. And, I suppose, it makes me feel old and contemplate my own missed opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment